Updated: Aug 17, 2022
Summer is the time of the year when we can finally free ourselves from many obligations and let ourselves flow into the sound of the wind in the trees or the sound of the waves of the sea ...
Whether you do a lot of sports or on the contrary a lot of lounge reading, here are some useful tips on how to take care of your precious treasures on vacation.
Jewelry, whether they are manufactured in sterling silver, gold-plated silver, or solid gold, needs specific care. This care is important to maintain the shine, luster, and texture of your jewelry. It is essential to avoid scratching them with other hard objects or oxidizing them when in contact with chemical products.
Here is some advice:
- First of all, when you are not wearing your jewelry, it is best to store them separately, wrapped in a cotton or velvet cloth or their original box. This will prevent them from being exposed to light or other objects.
- When you wear your jewelry, whether on the street or the beach, avoid contact with sweat, perfumes, cosmetic creams, or any chemical product. It is preferable to put your jewelry on last, before going out.
- If you bathe in seawater or a swimming pool with your jewelry, it is advisable to rinse them afterward with some fresh water and dry them with a soft cloth. This will maintain the shine of the gold tone for longer, whether the jewelry is made out of gold-plated silver or gold.
Jewelry oxidizes and loses its shine over time and through exposure to light, pollution, humidity, and wear. Traces of creams or soap can get stuck in the tiniest corners of the pieces. When cleaning your jewelry, it is important to distinguish well the material it is made of to maintain its beauty as long as possible:
- Silver jewelry without gold plating: it can be cleaned with a soft polishing cloth and a drop of special silver polish. Gently rub with the cloth, and then rinse with warm water and dry thoroughly.
- Gold-plated silver jewelry: it is important not to use any chemical product, as the plating could be damaged. It is convenient to use a drop of neutral soap, rub gently with a humid cotton cloth, rinse the piece with warm water and dry it well.
- Gold jewelry: in this case, the cleaning is the same as for gold-plated silver jewelry, except that you can use a very soft brush and a drop of neutral soap to clean the small residues. Rinsing with warm water and gentle drying are the same. Be careful to use a brush with very fine and soft bristles so you will avoid scratching the metal.
- Gemstones: Jewelry set with colored gemstones or diamonds can also be brushed with water and a drop of neutral soap, just as we do with gold jewelry.
By following these tips, you will be able to prolong the shine, the golden color, and the beauty of your jewelry. In case your jewelry has very deteriorated, you can send us a picture and we will advise you on the best way to restore it. There is also the option of gold plating it again. If you have any questions, send us a message here.
At Oggdesign Jewelry, we pay great attention to each detail and quality in the manufacturing process. Almost all of our jewelry are unique pieces and handmade by renowned artisans in Spain, specifically Barcelona.